Senior Project Manager, PMO
Modern Energy Management (MEM), a specialist in delivering project lifecycle certainty to renewable energy developers, financiers and investors, is seeking to hire an experienced Senior Project Manager to represent our PMO (Project Management Office), leading our team of renewable energy project managers world-wide. MEM’s role in the project is typically acting as Owner’s Representative, leading the renewable energy project teams through all phases of the project lifecycle. Our target projects are renewable energy projects (typically wind and PV solar) in emerging markets (SE Asia, Central Asia, Africa and Latin America).
This position will be based in Bangkok, Thailand and will require travel.
Essential Job Functions
Modern Energy Management has in-house capabilities to manage renewable energy projects from concept through commercial operations (early stage development, late stage development, construction and operations). Our team is a matrix organization, with project managers frequently leading and supporting across multiple projects.
MEM’s PMO is critical for allocation of resources to efficiently meet client deadlines. Therefore, it is vital the PMO has sufficient experience in the project lifecycle to understand key risks and issues.
Core PMO functions include:
- Support project managers in identifying and evaluating key risks and opportunities for reporting to clients and stakeholders
- Analyze project-specific risks and opportunities; develop a risk management plan coordinating development, project execution strategy, contracting/commercial strategy and project insurance options
- Prepare project planning by defining scope, estimating costs and creating a project schedule that will enable the desired outcome to be delivered
- Identify and add the required resources to the project to enable successful delivery
- Provide engineering support for wind/solar specific engineering issues and value engineering opportunities based on the project-specific risk profile
- Manage project cost including the processes involved in estimating, budgeting and controlling costs so that the project can be completed in the approved budget
- Review/modify and approve project management reports and critical correspondence
- Prepare and draft technical inputs and Employer Requirements for project tender documents and contracts
- Support business development manager in preparing project proposals, sales communications with clients and with customer relationship management
- Perform the standard approach to the naming and storage of all project documentation so that they are securely stored and can be easily accessed
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under his/her supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty.
- Minimum of Master’s degree (or equivalent) in engineering, construction management, business or related field required
- Valid PMP (Project Management Professional) certification issued by the Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing development and/or construction of renewable energy (wind and solar) projects larger
- Experience evaluating and analyzing earned value calculations
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Very strong writing skills with a track record (and samples) of project report writing for Boards and Steering Committees
- Prior experience leading multi-national and multi-lingual project teams
- Demonstrated excellence in effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the necessary skills to interface with local representatives, clients, vendors, contractors and subcontractors and other project stakeholders
- Renewable energy (wind and PV solar) project experience from concept/design stage through to commercial operations
- Demonstrated project financial understanding (such as the development of construction budgets, interpreting and understanding financial reports, financial evaluations, etc.)
- Proven track record of managing strict schedule deadlines